Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Get Your Kids to Eat Their Vegetables

My children do not like vegetables, I offer them every meal and force them to take so many bites, well Ben forces them too, it works better that way. But the last two nights have been magical, or almost magical. I added dip to the equation, the dip is garlic salt (okay salt may not be the best choice but it is the only time we add it at the table). Green beans dipped in garlic salt and their plates our empty.
I decided to step it up a notch and try some California medley, but I put a cheese sauce over it (I know mother's have been doing it for years, but I didn't think it would work so I hadn't tried it). I made my from scratch cheese sauce, started with rue (at which point Ben looks in the pan and thinks I have created a mess) slowly add the milk and then the cheese.

Luke and his green beans.
Anna's green beans are gone already and now she is diving into the cheesy vegetables.


They actually ate some of them, they still couldn't eat the cooked carrots, they only like them raw. Even Ben had some vegetables coated with cheese. I don't think in our 9+ years he has ever had anything but green beans or corn, salad or the occasional raw veges dipped in ranch.

You will notice there are no pictures of Beau and vegetables. If it doesn't start with "c" he doesn't eat it. Corn, carrots (raw of course), cucumbers that's it. Green beans in garlic salt = gag for Beau, and he wasn't even about to try vegetables covered with something. Maybe I can get him to eat some cauliflower this year, any other "c" suggestions.

Sidenote-someday Anna is going to hate these pictures, but oh well, that someday is still years from now.

No comments: